Introduce Yourself!

Hello! I’m Amanda Tapia. I heard @Heather give a talk about We All Count at UNC Chapel Hill a few weeks ago, and I was inspired to learn more and to join this group. I’m a biostatistician and am currently a postdoc in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Pittsburgh (but I live in Denver, CO). We mostly study sleep and circadian rhythms associated with all kinds of things. I’m trying to insert more of a health equity slant into our work and am currently researching the impact of everyday discrimination on sleep, stress and discrimination on pregnancy outcomes, and health disparities in longitudinal changes in sleep health in aging older adults. Always looking to learn more and hear what others are doing in this arena.

1 Like

Hello All! My name is Sharon Neylon and I am a Social Impact Advisor with American Family Insurance Institute for Corporate and Social Impact. My main focus areas are equity in education, early childhood ed, literacy, and the associated areas impacting these such as youth mental health, maternal health, housing, food insecurity, etc. Would love to connect!

1 Like

Hey there @altapia great to see you here! I’m so interested in data equity in sleep research. You might find our Talking Data Equity session with Dr. Azideh Yadollahi interesting. She joined us to discuss their work on health equity and sleep studies with people experiencing homelessness.

Hi @Institute22 so happy to have you here! :person_cartwheeling:t2:

Hi y’all I’m Danica and I live in the greater Denver, Colorado area.

I work in People Analytics within the tech industry at Red Hat, and I particularly focus on employee listening, experience, and well-being.

I’ve been interested in learning more about how to center my analytics work in equity for over 5 years and have found We All Count to be pretty instrumental in moving from intention to action.

1 Like

Hi there @dshipley2 I am so excited to see you here! Thanks for introducing yourself :slight_smile:

Finally getting around to joining the community! Thanks for creating it Heather! I’m Elisabeth from Berkeley, CA. I work for RTI International as a research analyst in the Education practice area and was lucky enough to attend Heather’s training as part of RTI’s Equity-Centered Methodology Training. I work primarily on research and eval projects at the P-12 levels.

1 Like

Hi there @edhens great to see you here. We really enjoyed meeting you all at the RTI training.

Hi there! My name is Julie Eldridge, I am from Ottawa, Canada. I work in the Evaluation and Policy Re-Design branch of Indigenous Services Canada (federal government). I am interested in data equity as I work with marginalized communities and am struggling to apply OCAP principles to data provided to me through my evaluation work. Happy to have found this community!

1 Like

Helllooo @juliee I’m so excited to see you here. I would really love to hear more about the work of the Indigenous Services in Canada. Keep us posted!

My name is Joey McMahon and I am from Milwaukee, WI. I recently graduated from the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee Zilber School of Public Health with my Master of Public Health in Public Health Policy and Administration. I currently work at the North Shore Health Department in Milwaukee County and I am interested in creating lasting policy changes that combat food insecurity, systemic racism, and historic redlining practices.

1 Like

Hi there @jmcmahon and welcome :slight_smile:

The Zilber School is such an excellent school! Congratulations. I’m looking forward to hearing more about the intersectional impact of redlining and racism (which, I know are kind of synonymous!) and food insecurity. Let me know if you have specific questions or resources!

Hi, my name is Raúl Martínez and I live in the Greater Sacramento Region. I work in the public sector, specifically for a health and human services department. I’ve tracked your important work for a while and am glad to be a part of this community. Could you let me know how I can view past data equity recordings? I’m looking forward to the next one!

1 Like

Hi @rmartinez! Welcome! You can view the Talking Data Equity recordings on this thread: Talking Data Equity with Heather Krause

1 Like

Super… thanks so much for this and for all your work!

Hi!

Elissa Faro, Assistant Professor in Internal Medicine at the University of Iowa. I’m a medical anthropologist, and through the lens of reproductive justice my research uses implementation science to improve equity in women and children’s health outcomes in the low resource settings in the US and in low- and middle-income countries.

The two workshops have been so helpful and accessible not only in my own research but as I develop partnerships with other public and research institutions. I’m really looking forward to the new course!

3 Likes

Hi there @elissafaro wow - a medical anthropologist! That’s so cool. That sounds like something I’d love to learn more about. Really looking forward to learning more about how you’re applying data in those settings.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Introduce Yourself to your Coursemates!

Sandy Sheppard, Buffalo, NY; social work researcher and Senior Evaluation Associate with CCNY [ccnyinc.org]. I’ve always been concerned about equity and found the most powerful tools for getting to it through asset-based community development concepts (John McKnight, John Kretzman) and now the field has expanded with so much compassion, insight, and reckoning with the truth… it’s still an uphill push but so many of us are innovating better means and tools. I’m excited to learn what y’all are doing! I’ve already learned about Ologies podcasts!

2 Likes

Hello all!
Connor Nowalk
Kansas City, MO
I am on the Evaluation team at the Kauffman Foundation
Excited to be a part of the community!

2 Likes