Introduce Yourself!

Hi @seiseledyrli your community of practice in Connecticut is blowing my mind :exploding_head: it’s so well put together. And thank you so much for joining the forum. We are really trying to find ways that feel like actually connecting across so many time zones and personal and professional commitments. I’m so glad you’re here. :blue_heart:

Welcome @ahblackwell! Great to see you again! We’re working a lot on violence prevention so I’m looking forward to picking your brain :smiling_face:

• Mike Nutt
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Higher Education
  • NC State University Libraries
  • We are trying to help lead our campus to understand and practice data equity. Always happy to talk to folks doing similar work in academia!
2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: We have a lot of data people here in CT that really want to transform the data culture of the state, it’s exciting to be a part of.

Hi Alyssa this is fascinating, thanks for sharing! Usually I think of social ecological frameworks as a sense-making framework (and that’s about all I do with ecology in the present time). The perspective you have shared to me is unique and intriguing. Are you familiar with the work of folks in the Turtle Island Institute

where Melanie Goodchild (Anishinaabe) has recently published a paper

https://jabsc.org/index.php/jabsc/article/view/577

on Relational Systems Thinking… I wonder if there might be something there for you and your work…?

And I have been learning/excited for some time after reading the concept of kincentric ecology from Enrique Salmón’s work:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/2641288?origin=JSTOR-pdf

Would to stay connected with what you’re doing and learning as it may be related to some work I’m involved with regarding ‘regenerative food systems,’ that includes prominently/centrally indigenous ways of knowing…

3 Likes

No problem @Heather if you have any questions or feedback on this, do give me a shout.

1 Like

Hi everyone, my name is Megan and I’m a Data Services Librarian at a Midwest university in the USA (sector = higher education).

I help researchers (including students) with data management and data sharing. Besides library and information science I have experience with natural history collections and data. One of my goals is to start offering resources and teaching on this topic on my campus.

3 Likes

Welcome @mikenutt so thrilled to see a person from the libraries! :books:

1 Like

Cool! I have been involved in a couple of program evals led by Malu Castro (see his bio on this page - Our Team | ELOKA), I don’t immediately see pubs/resources on his work indigenizing program evaluation, but his approach is inspiring.

1 Like

Thanks! Thanks for sharing those resources too - the kinship idea definitely comes up - how does the ‘microscope’ apply - seems less subject and object when all beings are relatives. I heard Deborah McGregor say a birch tree is a PI on her project - that opened my brain- what questions would the plants ask?

I’ve been lucky to be learning from Paulette Blanchard, Ren Green, Dominque David Chavez (she works with Stephanie Russo Carroll, who I saw mentioned here…), Teresa Romero, Val Small, Kalani Souza, Kyle Whyte, Dan Wildcat - my primary connection is through the Rising Voices community (https://risingvoices.ucar.edu/), and then the Indigenous Phenology Network that grew out of Rising Voices… where we do often discuss food forests/indigenous agro-eco approaches… happy to talk more.

1 Like

My name is Jerian Abel and I work in Portland, Oregon (USA). I co-direct a broadbased partnership focused on improving STEM Education outcomes for marginalized youth including BIPOC, families and youth navigating poverty, and girls. We’re called the Portland Metro STEM Partnership (www.pdxstem.org). Part of our work includes building the capacity of our partners to use data for Equity. I look forward to learning more from all of you!

2 Likes

Welcome @mno to the forum. There are so many librarians here. I did not anticipate that and am so overjoyed by the fact

Hi @jerian I’m so happy you’ve joined the forum.

1 Like

Hello! My name is Erin D’Amelio, a consultant for McREL International. I’m based in Honolulu, HI and work mainly with the U.S.-affiliated Pacific region within the education field. Looking forward to learning from this group!

2 Likes

Hi all, Em here. I’m based in the UK and work for an Autism Charity, looking after all things EDI (AKA DEI). I’m fascinated, relieved and excited that I stumbled across We All Count, and all your fabulous work Heather. I wonder, in amongst fellow data lovers if anyone else here is as big a fan of the late Professor Hans Rosling?

1 Like

Hi!

I’m Kristin Wolff, in Portland, OR (she/her).

• Workforce (program, eval, data, technical assistance & learning), which can blur into education and economic development
  • #FutureofWork #Climate+Workforce #CivicTech #Apprenticeship #Equity+Inclusion

Excited to be a part of this community

Cheers!
Kristin

1 Like

Hi @edamelio! Such a fan of the McREL work and there are several others from your team in the forum too. But I think you’re the only one so far from Hawaii! :sunglasses:

Hello @EmFell! Yes - there is a discussion going on right now about Hans Rosling in the “What Cool Data Equity Websites Should I Know About?” thread in the Resources section of the forum

@kristininPDX welcome! We have a growing contingent from Portland - I think starting to rival the Colorado numbers. Ohhhh - there are so many critical equity questions in the workforce. Building a harmonized international workforce database was one of my first jobs and I’m eager to connect about the current state of the research. :blue_heart:

Hi y’all!
I’m Kristi Donaldson, joining from Chicago, and I work in the education field (mostly K12). My current organization, The Learning Partnership, has research-practice partnerships with Chicago and Milwaukee Public Schools around computer science access, participation, and experiences. I’m a sociologist working to center equity in both our partnership and data work, and I love learning and talking data!

1 Like

Hi @kristi so great to have more folks from the Chicago area! Love it there.

Hello all - I am Pam and work at the Margaret A. Cargill Philanthropies in Minnesota located in Eden Prairie just outside of Minneapolis. I work on our Evaluation and Organizational Learning team. I have been a learner around how to practice more and more equitable uses of data for years, and have my thinking and practices have grown thanks to the We All Count framework, and Heather and team contributions over the past few years. Glad to be able to connect with others here!

2 Likes

Welcome @edamelio.
There’s a few Ed people so far so you’ll be in good company.

1 Like