Introduce Yourself!

Hi there! My name is Julie Eldridge, I am from Ottawa, Canada. I work in the Evaluation and Policy Re-Design branch of Indigenous Services Canada (federal government). I am interested in data equity as I work with marginalized communities and am struggling to apply OCAP principles to data provided to me through my evaluation work. Happy to have found this community!

1 Like

Helllooo @juliee I’m so excited to see you here. I would really love to hear more about the work of the Indigenous Services in Canada. Keep us posted!

My name is Joey McMahon and I am from Milwaukee, WI. I recently graduated from the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee Zilber School of Public Health with my Master of Public Health in Public Health Policy and Administration. I currently work at the North Shore Health Department in Milwaukee County and I am interested in creating lasting policy changes that combat food insecurity, systemic racism, and historic redlining practices.

1 Like

Hi there @jmcmahon and welcome :slight_smile:

The Zilber School is such an excellent school! Congratulations. I’m looking forward to hearing more about the intersectional impact of redlining and racism (which, I know are kind of synonymous!) and food insecurity. Let me know if you have specific questions or resources!

Hi, my name is Raúl Martínez and I live in the Greater Sacramento Region. I work in the public sector, specifically for a health and human services department. I’ve tracked your important work for a while and am glad to be a part of this community. Could you let me know how I can view past data equity recordings? I’m looking forward to the next one!

1 Like

Hi @rmartinez! Welcome! You can view the Talking Data Equity recordings on this thread: Talking Data Equity with Heather Krause

1 Like

Super… thanks so much for this and for all your work!

Hi!

Elissa Faro, Assistant Professor in Internal Medicine at the University of Iowa. I’m a medical anthropologist, and through the lens of reproductive justice my research uses implementation science to improve equity in women and children’s health outcomes in the low resource settings in the US and in low- and middle-income countries.

The two workshops have been so helpful and accessible not only in my own research but as I develop partnerships with other public and research institutions. I’m really looking forward to the new course!

3 Likes

Hi there @elissafaro wow - a medical anthropologist! That’s so cool. That sounds like something I’d love to learn more about. Really looking forward to learning more about how you’re applying data in those settings.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Introduce Yourself to your Coursemates!

Sandy Sheppard, Buffalo, NY; social work researcher and Senior Evaluation Associate with CCNY [ccnyinc.org]. I’ve always been concerned about equity and found the most powerful tools for getting to it through asset-based community development concepts (John McKnight, John Kretzman) and now the field has expanded with so much compassion, insight, and reckoning with the truth… it’s still an uphill push but so many of us are innovating better means and tools. I’m excited to learn what y’all are doing! I’ve already learned about Ologies podcasts!

2 Likes

Hello all!
Connor Nowalk
Kansas City, MO
I am on the Evaluation team at the Kauffman Foundation
Excited to be a part of the community!

2 Likes

Ken Rencher, Washington County OR, I lead a team of GIS professionals that support our long-range land use and transportation planning efforts. I also am working to help our organization reach our equity goals.

1 Like

Matt Hillard
Boston, MA
Nonprofit Consulting
Project Evident
I’m very excited to learn how I can be of best support of our clients and our own organization when it comes to all things data equity

1 Like

Hola/ Hi Everyone!

Name: Eva Maria Chavez
Organization: Independent Consultant work with youth development, education, public health organizations
I love unlearning and learning from others!

1 Like

Hi @mhillard it’s so great to have a growing group from Project Evident here in this community. I really value the perspectives and priorities of the Project Evident work. Please feel free to share any updates and resources you’re working on, love to hear about it.

@EMC - I am so excited to see you here! LA is such an active area for data equity and I’m really looking forward to hearing more about what you’re working on.

1 Like

Am Chanda Nsofwa from Zambia,Africa. Founder of Action for Rural Girls and Women. An initiative which aims at promoting gender equality for rural girls and marginalized women. I use evidence based stories from women and girls in rural communities to advocate for their rights.
Am supper excited to be part of this space and looking forward to meaningful conversations and networking with everyone here.

Hello everyone! Kriti here from Delhi, India. My work is based on crime prevention through environmental design (CPTED) focusing on gender and caste based violence.
Thank you for this opportunity to connect. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello! Coming to you from Queens, New York City. I do housing data analysis, viz, and policy + communications about those things at my org ANHD, where I also created a housing data tool called DAP Portal.For the last three years I’ve been teaching a data analysis, mapping, viz, and storytelling class to first-semester urban planning students and am continually trying to improve my conceptual frameworks and tools and resources I can share with them. Very excited to find this org and community (via the Data Visualization Society’s Youtube channel).

1 Like

Hi, My name is Michael, he/him pronouns. I am the librarian for public health and optometry at UC Berkeley. I also am on the library’s “data collaboration team” and help folks with all kinds of data needs, from finding data to research data management. I have also been teaching a “finding health data & statistics” workshop for many years (link: Welcome! - Finding Health Statistics & Data: A D-Lab Training - Library Guides at UC Berkeley). Thanks.

1 Like