Hispanic/Latino Representation in Program Participant Data

Good afternoon! I work at a United Way in Wisconsin, and help collect and analyze program data collection from our grant-funded partners. Currently, we collect demographic information using race and ethnicity categories aligned to the U.S. Census. For participants who identify as “Hispanic/Latino”, we ask agencies to enter those participants in the “Other” race category and the “Hispanic/Latino” ethnicity category. However, this may “hide” those participants identifying as racial categories other than those we list out. We are considering splitting the “Other” racial category into two: “Other (including Hispanic/Latino)” and “Other (not including Hispanic/Latino).” Have any of you faced a similar situation with your participant data? What resources/conversations did you use to inform your decision? My supervisor is looking for “evidence-based best practices,” but we also want to consult with the agency leaders who work closely with this population. I’d appreciate anyone willing to share your experience!

1 Like

Hello - I work with Alameda County Public Health Department’s Maternal & Child Health Unit in a similar role. For federal reports, we collect Race/Ethnicity as two separate categories - where Hispanic/Latino fall under the Ethnicity = Hispanic/Latino and the participant has a choice to choose up to as many race categories as they would like.

We are also in discussions to revamp how we collect this data and will be moving towards a combined category R/E question for data collection - where the Hispanic/Latino category is part of the Race question and the participant can choose any number of categories.

My colleagues used research from the Race, Ethnicity, Language, and Disability (REALD) Implementation Project by The Oregon Health Authority: Oregon Health Authority : Race, Ethnicity, Language, and Disability (REALD) Implementation : Office of Equity and Inclusion : State of Oregon

2 Likes

Hi there @misha.taherbhai and @bmgrow I wanted to let you know that we’re having a special guest on Talking Data Equity this week who is an expert on how to collect and analyze social identity data with Hispanic/Latino people in the US. The meeting is an informal conversation with Q&A at noon Friday, ET. If you’d like to attend just register (for free) here to get the Zoom link.

Thanks Heather! I will join.

1 Like

I would like to join this talk this morning, but never got a zoom invite, can someone please send. Thank you.

1 Like

Here’s the Zoom registration link:

2 Likes

Hey @kbaker thank you so much for helping out with that. I’m just removing the actual zoom link because it attracts lot’s of bots (and occasionally trolls) to the meetings, so we’d prefer that people register to receive the link in their emails where it’s harder for the more annoying parts of the internet to scrape :slight_smile: . Again, thank you for helping out @misha.taherbhai ! If you are still having issues receiving the link after registering, please let us know!

1 Like