Qualitative data and Project Management?

Recently, I attended a meeting with our Data Management Advisory Team today. I am a member of the team. We were talking about Qualitative data. I must confess it was not very clear to me how this work would be integrated into our existing data ecosystem especially our data projects intake process.
How does one even consider asking if Qualitative data is being used or considered for a project? How would the data governance (sharing, collecting and managing data) setup look like?

In my experience working at the Wisconsin Dept of Health Services, most of our data projects have predominantly dealt with Quantitative data. We have had pockets of program areas that have used qualitative methods to collect data from their grantees and for other objectives they have but this is a very small footprint.

Now, to my question. I am very new to Qualitative data. I am an IT Business Analyst that gets involved with many of the data Projects (collecting Business requirements) within the WI Dept of Health Services. Does anyone have any guidance on how our department can start adopting or at the least integrating the utilization of Qualitative data and of you have any tools, ideas or recommendations on how to integrate that data into our project intake process?

Respectfully,
Edwin Nyakoe-Nyasani