Equity-centered data modernization/transformation

Hello! I’m looking for models/frameworks that describe what “equity-centered data systems” are and competencies/progress/pathways to move systems in that direction. In public health, I’m aware of recommendations from RWJF, but they’re still fairly high level and don’t dive into the specifics of what data modernization can/should look like when centered on equity. Thank you for any advice and insight!

2 Likes

Hey @sara_chang! Are you looking for examples of how to improve equity when collecting data, developing research questions, or reporting on data etc? Or when you use terms like “data systems” and “data modernization” are you looking more for technical advice about data warehousing, data infrastructure, etc?

I just don’t want to misunderstand and point you in a useless direction! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hey. I too would like to hear more context for this query. I might know some useful resources but would love a little more detail about what you are looking for. Are you working in a public health context?

1 Like

Hey! Yes, would love to hear more context as well – adding to what has been asked above, at what level (community, local, state) and sector are you working and/or wanting to apply a model/framework?

2 Likes

Nothing to share that hasn’t been said, but I’m looking forward to seeing the resources that come from this thread! We’re working on similar questions in DC.

2 Likes

Hi, everyone! Thanks so much for the questions and interest, and your patience as I waded through conferences and subsequent vacation. X-)

I’m working in a public health context mainly at the state level to support agencies wanting to move toward equity-centered data systems. I’m curious if there are frameworks/models to show what “equitable data infrastructure” means - what are the characteristics, how do you measure progress/maturity, how are communities and partners engaged? There is a lot of money in public health data modernization right now (primarily due to COVID response and recovery funds) and redesigning systems with equity in the center has been a topic of conversation in many of the circles I’m in. I’m just struggling on resources and guidance on what that means and how agencies can make progress on this! Where do they start? How can they assess what action they can take? How have others implemented this?

Thanks for any insights and suggestions. :slight_smile:

This recent work by data.org came to mind: https://data.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/ReCode-Report.pdf
I will think more on this.

5 Likes

This is an amazing resource - thank you so much for sharing!

1 Like

What a spectacular resource - thank you for sharing this!

1 Like

Hi, everyone! A colleague shared this resource with me and I thought you all might find it helpful, too. It specifically focuses on data integration, but includes case studies, considerations, and key questions for each part of the data life cycle. Centering Racial Equity – Actionable Intelligence for Social Policy

4 Likes

@sara_chang & @jenrose LOVE these resources! Would you be willing to repost them in our Resources category too? I think they are cool enough that we don’t want them buried in just this specific question! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Sara! I would love to meet and learn from your learnings on this as well. I work at the AZ state health department and although I’m not working directly on our data infrastructure, I’m trying to learn how to align my work with those who are working on it, bring more partners into the picture, advocate for data sharing and transparency, etc. Please reach out if you’d like to chat! holly.starr@azdhs.gov